Bishop Harry Woolston Shipps
Bishop Harry Woolston Shipps graduated from William MacFarland H.S. in 1942. After graduation, he attended the New York State Maritime Academy and served as an officer in the Merchant Marine and US Navy from 1946 until 1955. In 1953 he married Louise Huntington Rosenberger. They have four children.
Bishop Shipps received his theological training at St. Luke’s Seminary at the University of the South at Sewanee, Tennessee. He was ordained deacon in May of 1958 and a priest in 1959.
Bishop Shipps has spent his entire ordained ministry in the Diocese of Georgia. He began as vicar and later rector of St. Mark’s (1958-1963), and then became vicar of the Church of the Holy Apostles, Savannah (1963-1970). In 1970 he became rector of St. Alban’s, Augusta, where he remained until his election as Bishop-Coadjutor in September 1983. He was consecrated a Bishop on the Feast of the Epiphany, 1984. He served as Bishop Coadjutor of the Diocese of Georgia until February 1985 when he became Diocesan.
In his 25 years in the Diocese of Georgia, Bishop Shipps has served as secretary of the diocese, editor of the Church in Georgia, member of the Liturgical Commission, member and president of the Standing Committee, member of the Architectural Commission, chairman of the Ecumenical Commission, secretary of the Georgia Interchurch Association, deputy to the General Conventions of 1973, 1979, 1982, member of the Diocesan Council, and chairman of the Commission on Ministry.