Discipline remains a major concern of schools. In this school effective discipline is synonymous with effective instruction. Maintaining good discipline is a necessary precondition to establishing a school or classroom climate that is conducive to learning. An effective discipline policy increases instructional time, teaches students responsibility and self-control, and improves the overall feeling that Bordentown Regional High School is an exciting place to teach and learn.
The responsibility for developing and maintaining an effective discipline policy rests with a variety of audiences. The key players include the staff, administrators, parents, students, and every adult who works at Bordentown Regional High School. Effective discipline takes place on school buses, on the grounds of the school, in the school cafeteria, in the hallways outside our classrooms, in the lavatories, and in our classrooms.
In fact, discipline is viewed as an extension of the instructional program. The planning for instruction includes activities that engage the students in a variety of ways, holding the students responsible, treating the students fairly and with respect, teaching students that they make choices and with each choice, there are consequences.
Assumptions Inherent In BRHS Discipline Policy
Prior to the rules and regulations which bring reality to the discipline policy, an understanding of the assumptions that guide our behavior is critical. These assumptions include:
1. Parents will be included as early as possible in the teacher's classroom discipline plan and the school's discipline plan.
2. The discipline policy will increase in effectiveness through frequent staff interaction and in-service.
3. Every staff member will take responsibility for maintaining student behavior in and out of the classroom.
4. Staff expects administrative support related to disruptive students.
5. Effective discipline begins in the classroom with effective instruction.
6. Discipline plans can be successful as long as students believe that there is real hope for them to be successful.